LONDON, England (CNN) — The UK’s Prince Harry is in Afghanistan and has seen combat, the UK Ministry of Defense confirmed Thursday.
He was deployed 10 weeks ago and his fellow soldiers were sworn to secrecy.
The prince’s status is currently being reviewed, the Ministry of Defense said.
Harry is third in line to the British throne and a lieutenant in the Blues and Royals
In a recent interview with CNN Correspondent Paula Newton, Prince Harry said, “At the end of the day I like to sort of be a normal person, and for once I think this is about as normal as I’m ever going to get.”
And in a pre-deployment interwith the British Press Association, he said: “If I’m wanted, if I’m needed, then I will serve my country as I signed up to do.”
The head of the British Army, Chief of the General Staff Sir Richard Dannatt, said Harry’s deployment had been kept secret after striking an agreement with the media.
He said: “What the last two months have shown is that it is perfectly possible for Prince Harry to be employed just the same as other Army officers of his rank and experience.
“His conduct on operations in Afghanistan has been exemplary. He has been fully involved in operations and has run the same risks as everyone else in his Battlegroup.
“In common with all of his generation in the army today, he is a credit to the nation.
“In deciding to deploy him to Afghanistan, it was my judgment that with an understanding with the media not to broadcast his whereabouts, the risk in doing was manageable.”
Dannatt added that he and senior commanders will now be reviewing Harry’s deployment.
Last year, the military ruled Harry could not be sent to Iraq because publicity about the deployment could put him and his unit at risk.