Top Ten Most Gruesome/Bizarre Sports Injuries
1. Redskins QB Joe Theismann suffers broken right leg: This is the granddaddy of gruesome sports injuries. Lawrence Taylor‘s reaction is unforgettable.
2. Alabama WR Tyrone Prothro suffers broken left leg: The interesting thing about this clip is that the cameraman actually shoots a close-up of Prothro’s leg. One thing you’ll notice in most of the following clips is that the announcers usually tell the cameramen to turn away.
3. Dodgers pitcher Kaz Ishii gets hit in face with line drive: This isn’t as nasty as when Red Sox pitcher Bryce Florie got hit with a liner, but it will still make you cringe. Make sure you stay with the clip and watch the “demonstration” that takes place afterward.
4. Villanova guard Allen Ray gets his right eye poked out: This is just nasty. While it’s on my list, I don’t recommend watching it.
5. Sabres goalie Clint Malarchuk gets his neck cut by skate: This is probably the worst injury, but luckily you can’t see it. There’s a collision and then some blood. But that’s more than enough. The announcers’ reactions are a must-listen.
6. Mets outfielders Mike Cameron and Carlos Beltran viciously collide: The amazing thing about this play is that Beltran only missed a week of action. Cameron ended up with a broken jaw and broken nose.
7. Celtics guard Tony Allen suffers torn ACL: This get filed under the “bizarre” category. Allen attempted a dunk after play was whistled dead and then blew out his knee. He’s out for the season.
8. Tennis player Mary Pierce ruptures her ACL: You can’t really see how bad the damage is to Pierce’s knee, but just listen to her scream.
9. Wrestler Sid Vicious suffers broken left leg: Wrestling may be fake, but this injury is not.
10. Miami running back Willis McGahee suffers broken left leg: Helmet on knee. Nothing more needs to be said. If you’re not queasy after viewing these clips, let me know which one you think is the most gruesome. And let me know if I’ve left any out. One thing to remember, though: There has to be a YouTube clip of the injury.
Notice how I skillfully avoid each and every one of those links. 🙂
I too will avoid these links. I do remember watching the hockey game with the blood on the ice, when I was younger.