Bag of Randomness for Thursday, November 7, 2019
- Apparently the ‘OK Boomer’ meme has been around but I only discovered it yesterday. When I first heard it, I thought it had something to do with the University of Oklahoma, as in, Boomer Sooner. I can understand how people like the fight song, it’s catchy and basically only has two words, so it’s easy to memorize. But I always thought it was odd to take pride in ancestral cheaters. Per Wikipedia:
- Boomers is the name given to settlers in the Southern United States who attempted to enter the Unassigned Lands in what is now the state of Oklahoma in 1879, prior to President Grover Cleveland opening them to settlement by signing the Indian Appropriations Act of 1889 on March 2, 1889. The Sooners, settlers who entered the Unassigned Lands just prior to the April 22, 1889 official opening, were preceded by Boomers by a decade.
- Shane McAnally of NBC’s Songland and Mineral Wells was on fellow Texan Kelly Clarkson’s show yesterday. His hometown was never mentioned but a photo of him and his kids on top of the Crazy Water Hotel with the Baker in the background was shown. That photo is on his Instagram and he states he one of the co-owners of the Crazy Water Hotel. As I perused his account, I also spotted a photo he took of his daughter standing in front of Chicken Express, another Mineral Wells institution. I think he worked there for a time. Sadly, as much of a fan of Chicken E as I am, I have to admit I think the quality of their product has slipped a bit.
- The CGI ghost of James Dean will star in a Vietnam War movie – He’s been posthumously cast in a major supporting role.
- Free Entrance to Texas State Parks Nov. 10 in Honor of Veterans Day
- GQ – What I Learned When I Lost 50 Pounds – Last summer, Rohan Nadkarni decided to get in shape. He expected it to be difficult; he didn’t expect a whole new set of anxieties.
- I follow the NFL Network’s Jane Slater (formally of CBS11 and Dallas ESPN radio and Longhorn alumni) on Twitter. I’m very bad at reading into things, but I think she revealed a three-year relationship with ESPN’s Dianna Russini. They both admit to following Admiral Bill McRaven’s advice of making their bed each morning so they can say they accomplished at least one thing that day. That habit is so ingrained in them that they always make their hotel beds each morning. Personally, I think making your bed every morning is a waste of time since no one is really gonna see it and it’s only going to get unmade again later in the day. It’s better to apply that accomplishment philosophy to brushing your teach each morning. Not only is that an accomplished task but unlike making the bed, it’s hygienic and prevents cavities and tartar buildup.
- He spreads it around – QB Dak Prescott’s passing chart through 8 games in 2018 vs. 2019
- Harley-Davidson’s electric bicycles get their first public debut
- The NRCC wants you to make Christmas great again.
- Rush $25 or more to defend President Trump and House Conservatives and we’ll send you 3 rolls of our official limited-edition Trump Christmas Wrapping Paper that you’ll only find here
This entry was posted in Personal
. Bookmark the permalink