Each August since 1998, Beloit College has released the Beloit College Mindset List. It provides a look at the cultural touchstones that shape the lives of students entering college this fall. The creation of Beloit’s Keefer Professor of the Humanities Tom McBride and former Public Affairs Director Ron Nief, it was originally created as a reminder to faculty to be aware of dated references, and quickly became a catalog of the rapidly changing worldview of each new generation.
Read the full list here but below is a sample:
- Few in the class know how to write in cursive.
- John McEnroe has never played professional tennis.
- Clint Eastwood is better known as a sensitive director than as Dirty Harry.
- Korean cars have always been a staple on American highways.
- Computers have never lacked a CD-ROM disk drive.
- American companies have always done business in Vietnam.
- Russians and Americans have always been living together in space.
- Toothpaste tubes have always stood up on their caps.