- 17 – Plaxico Burress: He signed his free-agent contract March 17.
- 18 – Peyton Manning: 18 was the number worn in high school by his older brother, Cooper, who later was diagnosed with spinal stenosis.
- 22 – Roger Clemens: Clemens had worn 21 with the Red Sox and Blue Jays, but that number wasn’t available when he joined the Yankees. So he reversed the numerals and wore 12. But when he didn’t pitch well, he switched to 22 because his son’s favorite football player was Emmitt Smith.
- 23 – Michael Jordan – 23 is half of 45 (well, roughly), which was the number worn by his older brother, Larry.
- 40 – Joe Forte: Say his last name out loud.
- 61 – Josh Beckett: Wanted to wear 19 but it was taken by Mike Lowell, so he rotated it 180 degrees to get 61.
- 85 – Petr Klima: He defected to the West in 1985.
- 87 – Sidney Crosby: Born on 8/7/87.
- 96 – Bill Voiselle: His hometown was Ninety Six, S.C.