- As you know, 2021 was a very rough year for me. I rang in the new year by opening the backdoor at midnight to let out 2021 and to welcome in 2022 with an open mind.
- This was the first Christmas we experienced as a divorced family. I didn’t have the kids from the day of my surgery, Dec 17, until Dec 28. I had “my Christmas” with them on the night of the 28th. It was weird for all of us, even though we tried to make the best of it.
- The word I’m going to focus on for the year, I guess you can say my mantra, is “yield.” I’m not in control of most things or the actions or responses of others. Like the Beatles said, “Let it be.” I’m also going to adopt the MJ from Spider-Man NWH philosophy, “If you expect disappointment, then you can never really be disappointed.” For instance, I thought my ex would allow our children to visit me at least one time during my recovery from major surgery to at least put their minds at ease. I have no control over that. I just had to expect the worst and let it be. Easier said than done. I can’t figure out any other way to deal with this new normal I didn’t seek nor ask for.
- Before I found out about my then wife’s emotional acts of infidelity and fell into depression, I used to weigh around 250-pounds, though at my heaviest I stopped weighing myself after I hit 265. Saturday was the first I weighed myself post surgery. All of my weight over the past 14-months have been unplanned.
- My recovery is going well but I think I need to take it easy. DaughterGeeding is trying out for her school’s softball team and I’ve been underhand tossing softball sized wiffle balls at her in the backyard. As a matter of fact, we did it at midnight in the backyard one night with nothing but the porch light aiding us. I do get winded easily and had to be careful of a few line drives.
- In case you want to see how my throat incision is healing. The purple surgical ink is still there. My follow-up is on Tuesday.
- I’d like to see the player-coach role come back, but I guess there are contract legalities preventing that from ever happening. The two modern-day players I think fit that role would be Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.
Dan Reeves was out there playing for the Cowboys while also being on the coaching staff pic.twitter.com/PxHYSLTvam
— Jon Machota (@jonmachota) January 1, 2022
Can’t believe I’m still writing COVID-19 on all my checks.
— Victor Godinez (@VictorGodinez) January 1, 2022