- There’s a lot of money when it comes to fracking – Worthless Just Two Years Ago, West Texas Sand Now Brings in Billions
- Houston Chronicle – These are the 50 greatest Texas movies ever. Ever.
- I had no idea that there was any sort of legend behind a shooting star on a Tootsie Pop wrapper.
- It has been rumored that local convenience stores used to give a free Tootsie Pop to anyone who brought in a wrapper containing the image of the shooting star. Unfortunately, we do not know how this rumor started and Tootsie Roll Industries has never actually honored this promotion. In fact, the shooting star appears on 1 in every 4 to 6 Tootsie Pop wrappers, just as frequent as the other images appear. However, we do believe the star is a sign of good luck to come.
- The New York Times has an article about the twentieth anniversary of the tragedy in Jasper, TX
- Sheriff Rowles, 73, thinks about the crime that for a while, at least to the outside world, defined Jasper. He sees things this way: What happened on an old country road is a permanent scar that time is finally healing. “Do we ever get over something like that? No,” he said. “And we shouldn’t. But it finally doesn’t come up in conversations every day any more.”
- “They killed him because he was black,” Sheriff Rowles, who is white, said plainly, nodding his head to emphasize this truth was not negotiable. “This was the first time I heard the words ‘hate crime.’”
- The Washington Post – What we buy can be used to predict our politics, race or education — sometimes with more than 90 percent accuracy
- The AtlanticThe Epic Battle Between Breast Milk and Infant-Formula Companies –
- I’ve never been a fan of the comic, his humor makes me uncomfortable.
- Dick Cheney autographs a waterboard at request of Sacha Baron Cohen
- Sarah Palin says she was duped into interview with Sacha Baron Cohen
- The Daily Mail reports that the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee said she unknowingly participated in an interview for what turned out to be Cohen’s just-announced satirical series, “Who is America?”
- A lot of drama at the Mesquite, Texas Sears. Anger and cursing warning.
Welcome to Mesquite, Texas pic.twitter.com/bpWxrfSdPO
— David Sosa (@davidsosaa_) July 10, 2018