- One reason I’ve been hesitant to leave DirecTV is that I have all the channel numbers memorized. So far, I’m happy I switched, but the adjustment is real first world problem.
- A reader was kind enough to tell me he heard my hometown of Mineral Wells, Texas mentioned while watching an old western on TCM called Bad Bascom. While researching that I found out Mineral Wells is the setting for the fourth story of little known Marvel character Tex Morgan. The story includes the Ute Reservation, but if my hometown history memory serves me right, the only tribes in the area would have been Comanche or Wichita. However, per Wikipedia:
- The name “Comanche” is from the Ute name for them, kɨmantsi (enemy), but known to the French as Padoucas, an adaption of their Sioux name, and among themselves as Nʉmʉnʉ (people).
- A TAMU former student informed me of an Aggie effort to consider including personal pronouns in email signatures to help identify gender because of unisex or dual-gender names and names, as well as unfamiliar names from other countries. I’m not saying I’m for or against the idea (I know some of you are pulling your hair out thinking political correctness has run amok), but I experience this awkward issue a lot since so many people in my line of work are from other countries. With a romance language, most female names end in an “a” or vowel. But these Asians, I tell ya, they make everything complicated. At least I only make things half as complicated as they should be.
- A funny bit of timing worked out the other day. While reading Barry’s blog he mentioned his heater needed to be repaired which reminded me I need to order a replacement filter for my HVAC unit. As soon as I finished reading that bullet point an email from my preferred filter store arrived in my Inbox with a discount code for twenty percent off. I have to order my filter since isn’t carried by any local stores, it’s an oddly shaped 16″ x 25″ x 1″ which only needs to be changed every six months.
- Arizona to buy back its state Capitol
- A decade ago, in the depths of the worst recession in modern U.S. history, Arizona lawmakers took perhaps the most extreme step of any state facing massive budget deficits: They sold their state Capitol building and the buildings that house the state House and Senate. Now, with coffers flush with revenue, the state wants to buy those buildings back. Gov. Doug Ducey (R) said Monday he would move to pay off debt and reclaim ownership of legislative buildings, the state fairgrounds and the building that houses the state Supreme Court.
- Here’s my crazy political prediction you should bet the pigsty on. In other words, it’s a bunch of crap and slop so don’t even give it any real consideration unless it happens and I’ll take full credit for the stranger than fiction idea. One morning Americans will find out that Trump’s cabinet, in a surprise move, turned on him invoking the 25th Amendment. This will happen because of his refusal to budge on re-opening the government after some budging from the opposing party, not working with his own party, and another month of employees unable to pay bills and business owners’ bottom lines being affected, not to mention the “full faith and credit of the U.S. government” taking a huge hit. Republican strategists are already working on this thinking about how much easier it will be to rally behind Pence for 2020 and making all the Russian collusion and any moral shortcomings of Trump go away. For your Trump supporters, don’t get all sensitive on me, just allow me to dance in my delusions of grandeur for a bit.
- Bryan B.: You may already be doing it, but I signed up for the filter subscription service through Amazon. You can...
- Damon: My filters are MERV 11, and I order them online. Even though they are classified to be replaced in 6-12...
- Bryan B.: Your 25th amendment post really got the hamster wheel in my brain spinning. There’s a number of...
- Geeding: Thanks for your thoughts, Alan. I’d like to lean more on your HVAC knowledge. When I first got my AC,...
- Alan: If you’re only changing your filter every 6 mo. you’re wasting a fortune in electricity and and...
Looking For Something?
Recent Flickr Photos
Recently Came From