Bag of Randomness for Tuesday, August 28, 2018
- If you’ve been watching this season of HBO’s ‘Hard Knocks’ you’ve no doubt been entertained by Bob Wylie, the Browns offensive line coach. His Wikipedia page states, “he has 7 toes on his left foot.”
- Taken from Peter King’s new version of MMQB
- “High schools are already playing in some states. The college football season starts next weekend, before the calendar flips to September; Alabama is ranked No. 1 again. The NFL kicks off a week later; Brady and Belichick are still in Foxboro but watch out for the Rams. We will play. We will watch. We will bet. Because football is big. And flawed. And dangerous. And most of all: Just a sport. Nothing more.” — Sports Illustrated’s Tim Layden, in his excellent essay on America’s over-valuing of football.
- Hot Sports Opinion – Sporting events involving anyone under the age of 18 should not be televised with the exception of championship games, and maybe playoff games. Youth sports are becoming even more corrupt and all the cash made from it benefits adults more than the kids.
- “If your attack is going too well, you’re probably walking into an ambush.”
- Anytime I ask DaughterGeeding if she wants an ice cream cone, she always clarifies that she does as long as there is ice cream in it. I’m not sure why she does this as we never pulled that sort of joke on her.
- Yesterday, Bob or Dan seemed to wonder why a lot of people needed to clarify themselves on Senator John McCain, “I didn’t always agree with him but I sure did respect and love the man.” That’s easy. In today’s world, everyone is quick to label you a hypocrite unless you provide some context, and even then they’ll focus on the part they want if it reinforces their point.
- Who’s the greatest orator in Congress today? Love him or loathe him, I think Ted Kennedy was the last great orator in Congress.
- I recently read an email which was signed “V/r”. I had no idea what it meant, but it looks like it means “Very Respectfully”. Upon learning this, my first thought was, that shorthand doesn’t seem very respectful.
- For the first time in 50 years, a NASA astronaut candidate has resigned – Robb Kulin is leaving the agency for “personal reasons.”
- To pass up the opportunity to travel to space is huge, that’s got to be a pretty big reason to turn it down.
- Deadspin – Report: Baylor Secretly Infiltrated Sexual Assault Survivor Groups
- It’s hard to concentrate – A neuroscientist explains what tech does to the reading brain
- What’s in This?: Ranch Dressing – All 20 ingredients in the sauce that tastes good on almost everything, explained (yep, even Calcium Disodium EDTA)
- The old lady eating pizza with chopsticks caught my attention – American Pie –
How sharing a Hawaiian pizza from Pizza Hut became a Beijing family tradition
- There’s just something about watching ‘Better Call Saul’ on Monday nights which calms and relaxes me. It’s not a show for everyone, but it transports me out of this world and is an escape from any distress. What it does is reminds me of the beginning of the ‘Cheers’ song:
- Making your way in the world today
Takes everything you got
Taking a break from all your worries
It sure would help a lot
Wouldn’t you like to get away?
This entry was posted in Personal
. Bookmark the permalink