Bag of Randomness for Tuesday, December 5, 2017
- I’m looking forward to this cold front because I don’t like the idea of running the AC during in December.
- For the last year or so I’ve been trying to identify my biases. It’s been really interesting trying not to immediately become emotional or form an opinion and trying to understand why I might initially feel a certain way. It’s been especially unique when applying this to sports and politics, but also in the workplace as well as to personal relationships and even strangers. I’ve discovered a lot more things influence me than I’d like to admit.
- SNL was hosted by Irish actress Saoirse Ronan. During her monologue, her American accent was excellent. Sometimes I’m really amazed at how well people from other countries can speak with an American accent. I was shocked when I learned Hugh Laurie (House M.D.) was actually a Brit, same goes for Damian Lewis (Homeland). However, I wonder if there are any American actors who can nail a foreign accent so well it fools the natives of those lands. Somewhat related, I used to think there was no such thing as an American accent, that it was considered “normal” English. I didn’t think that because of American exceptionalism, but because you don’t hear accents during songs. Ozzy Osbourne and Adele certainly don’t sound like they are across the pond when they sing.
- In other Irish related things, I read something intriguing about how Bono came up with some of the lyrics of U2’s new album. Irish poet Brendan Kennelly told him to write the songs as if he was already dead. Doing so caused Bono to view his approach totally differently, especially since a lot of these songs are directed at his wife, children, and other loved one. Think about it, writing a letter to someone you know you will encounter is totally different than writing a letter of finality. You are more willing to lay it all out there as you won’t experience any repercussions and it’s your final goodbye.
- For a handful of Christmases, I got into the snow village craze but then I lost the desire and decided they were a waste of money. However, I just discovered a National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation snow village and any sane person could justify that purchase since the item would priceless.
- When we finished putting up our outdoor Christmas lights and it was time to turn them on for the very first time, like Clark Griswold, I made the family gather out front and sang “Joy to the World” right before I plugged them in.
- The Languages That Take the Most (and Least) Time to Learn
- Quentin Tarantino might be making a Star Trek movie
- The Joys and Sorrows of Watching My Own Birth – Shelby Vittek reflects on the bittersweet experience of watching herself be born — and her now-divorced mom and dad become parents — again and again.
This entry was posted in Personal
. Bookmark the permalink