10. The $100 bill he kept in his pocket. When someone in the opening game bid the exact right price, Bob would reach into his pocket and produce a reward of 100 bucks. So Grandfatherly, so warm. We imagine the bill smells like Wertherâ€™s Originals and pipe tobacco.
9. The Most Feminine Microphone in the Biz. It takes a real man to use a long, skinny mic like that.
8. The Olâ€™ â€œLetâ€™s Check If Youâ€™re A Winner Fake-Outâ€ Trick. Bob waits until the height of aniticipation, leans in the hit the revealing button to see if the contestant is a winner, then takes this opportunity to find out where the player is from, how many kids he/she has, etc. The audience groans, and fantastic television is made. This trick is most often employed during â€œThe Dice Gameâ€ and â€œSpelling Bee.â€
7. Female contestants kissing Bob on the cheek. We long to feel the leathery crevaced surface of his face brush against our quivering lips.
6. His laugh. Sure, most of the time itâ€™s done politely. But ever once in a while, a contestant would catch him off guard, and he would genuinely crack-up.
5. Bob and his Plinko Stick. Back before â€œmodern technologyâ€ created a clog-free Plinko board, every now and again one of the oversized purple chips would get stuck between the pegs. Such an emergency forced Bob to retrieve his Unclogging Stick (a long white baton), and finagle the chip from its Plinko prison. And he did it with ease, folks.
4. His G.I. Joe Helmet Hair.
3. Bob losing his patience. Sure, heâ€™s a game show host, but heâ€™s also a game show proctor. Heâ€™s the captain of the pricing ship! Meaning sometimes he has to hurry people along and ends up losing his patience. Often seen when people have difficulty coming up with a bid during the Showcase Showdown (â€James, we need your bid.â€)
2. The Creepy Old Grandpa Youâ€™re Glad Isnâ€™t Your Grandpa. You couldnâ€™t compile a list of Bob Barker related memories without bringing up the famous sexual harassment suit brought about by one of his Barkerâ€™s Beauties.
1. Bobâ€™s Signature Sign-Off. We hate to think of what the future holds for animal population control without Bobâ€™s trademarked sign-off, â€œHave Your Pets Spayed or Neutered.â€ Will the new host adopt this phrase? And if so, will it feel completely phony?