Bag of Randomness for Tuesday, September 3, 2019
- WifeGeeding’s siblings and their spouses have this pleasant little custom or tradition in which everyone will send a birthday card with five bucks (per individual) or a gift card to whoever is celebrating a birthday. One couple was nice enough to send me an Apple gift card; however, it’s telling how well they really must know me as I don’t own a single Apple product. Well, I do still have my special edition U2 iPod which I bought in October of 2004. I think it still works but will have to find the cords to see if it will charge.
- WifeGeeding likes to claim I’m a tough person to buy a present for, yet there have been certain things I’ve told her I always wanted consistently for over a decade. One of which is a model of a PV-1 Ventura, the plane my father was a gunner in when he was in the Navy during WWII. Finally, she delivered on Friday. Beggars can’t be choosers, I suppose, but personally I wanted one that I didn’t have to assemble and paint. Somewhat surprising, I found a YouTube video of someone putting together and painting the same model so at least I have a guide. I’m pretty impressed with the detail this person puts into it, like sanding certain edges away and painting detail. Upon further research, I found something pretty darn interesting, the Orlando Sanford International Airport will be opening a new terminal next year and inside it will be a restored PV-1 Ventura. It looks like the plane was placed inside and they are building the terminal around it, sorta. Hmmmm, I might have talked myself into taking the kids back to Disney World, even though Orlando Sanford is not the ideal airport to land in for that kind of trip.
- Baptism by fire, but like my mother, she’s also a tad under five-feet tall – The 26-Year-Old Defense Attorney Whose First Two Clients Were El Chapo and Jeffrey Epstein
- I’ve been watching HISTORY’s series The Food That Built America. C.W. Post, the cereal magnate, built a town in West Texas named Post, “a model community and grand social experiment.” Post committed suicide and his 27-year-old daughter, Marjorie Merriweather Post, was the benefactor of his cereal empire and fortune. She was responsible for building Mar-a-Lago, which is now owned by President Trump.
- It would have been nice if Rachel Held Evans was still alive to tweet about this – Catholic School in Nashville bans “Harry Potter” series, citing risk of “conjuring evil spirits”
- Here’s a fun interactive chart to visualize college return on investment. I have my undergraduate alma matta highlighted below. The place I went to for graduate school is on the same x-axis but slightly to the right. So, my undergrad school ranks 1, 373 and my graduate school ranks 1,338. I should have made better decisions when I was a yoot. One thing is for sure, there’s no beating the military academies (furthest and highest left).
- What it’s like to eject out of a military jet
- I wish this map went just a bit more up north to include Frisco and a tad more west to include Las Colinas and Valley Ranch.
Judgemental Map of Dallas
This entry was posted in Personal
. Bookmark the permalink