Bag of Randomness for Monday, September 16, 2019
- I spotted this truck on the way to our school’s fall festival. I couldn’t decide if he lives such a blessed life he can’t find anything to gripe about so he decided to focus all his attention and energy on one cause or he’s ignored in life so much he’s willing to do anything for attention. What’s he going to do if he spots someone going below the speed limit? How will he enforce it? Call the cops? Post a video online? Citizen’s arrest?
- In case you are wondering, here’s the first part of the referenced code: Sec. 545.363 Minimum Speed Regulations
(a)An operator may not drive so slowly as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.
- A projector was used at a public gathering I recently attended. I arrived early and saw the audio/video person verifying the presentation was ready to go and set up directly. Then, I witnessed her open up the web browser which immediately opened Bing.com. In that search engine, she typed “Google” and clicked on the first result. On Google’s homepage, she searched for “gmail” and then clicked on the first search result. Bless her heart.
- The first murder trial in the United States for which there is a recorded transcript was the Manhattan Well Murder trial of 1800. Levi Weeks was acquitted of the murder and the jury only deliberated for five minutes. His legal team consisted of three lawyers, two of which were Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton. The other one was Henry Brockholst Livingston who later served as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court.
- Alexander Hamilton had an affair with Maria Reynolds. When she divorced her husband years later, Burr served as her divorce attorney.
- At age 77, Aaron Burr married Eliza Jumel, a wealthy widow who was 19 years younger. She separated from Burr after four months of marriage. For her divorce lawyer, she chose Alexander Hamilton Jr., and the divorce was officially completed on September 14, 1836, coincidentally the day of Burr’s death.
- Aaron Burr’s father was the second president of the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University). His maternal grandfather was Jonathan Edwards (Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God) and lived with him after he was orphaned at the age of two. Edwards was the third president of Princeton University.
- They also crushed them 55-0 – University of Georgia fans staged a ‘pink out’ for opponent Arkansas State, whose coach’s wife just died of cancer
- This is welcome news to fellow The Far Side fans:
This entry was posted in Personal
. Bookmark the permalink