Bag of Randomness for Wednesday, August 7, 2019
- One week from yesterday will be the first day of school for most of my family. Wow, August 13th, it just seems too darn early to start school. Granted, the last day of school is something like May 21, but it just feels weird starting school before the actual middle of August.
- It looks like I will no longer be driving the kids to school in the morning, which was a fantastic way to start off my day. I’m going to miss that, it was great bonding time. WifeGeeding accepted a job to be a kindergarten teacher at our kids’ school so there’s no effective reason for me to drive them to school anymore. And, as the middle school and high school are on the same campus, I may never have to drop them off every again if WifeGeeding works at the school until our children graduate. Sure, there will be exceptions, and I’ll cherish those time, but a part of my daily routine has been taken away.
- It pains me to admit it, but in an effort to be transparent, when I dropped them off at school I feared it would be the last time I see them. Mass shootings are everywhere, no place is immune. Many people tend to think such a thing will not happen to them, but I’m the type of person who thinks that sort of stuff would happen to me. I’m not an optimist, I’m a pessimist, always preparing myself for the worst and being thankful for anything which comes out half as well as I expect it.
- At least the first week of school will only have one day of triple digits, the first day of school is Tuesday for us.
- We all know one or two people at work who will “Reply All” when it’s not needed. Please don’t be one of those people.
- Current Mount Vernon Tigers head football coach Art Briles talked to the media for the first time on Monday. The media was told to ask questions only relating to Mount Vernon football, but one reporter out of Waco believed she found a loophole when she asked, “You guys are the Tigers. Any talk about changing (the team’s name) to the Scapegoats?” Many in sports media expressed disappointment with her question, but she defended it by stating, “No bad intent. Many in Waco feel Briles was a scapegoat. Media were told not to ask questions about BU sex scandal, only MV football-related questions, so using the mascot was simply a “sporty” way of opening the door for Briles to respond to the theory of being a scapegoat.“
- Random fact about Mount Vernon, Texas – It was originally called Keith. Someone must have realized what a pathetic and prosaic sounding name that was and decided to change it to Lone Star, and then later to its current name.
- Sony has developed a wearable mini/portable air conditioner to fit on the back of a shirt, just below the neck. It looks like it wouldn’t be noticeable with a dress shirt on, but I’m curious to know the noise level and battery life of the thing. It’s probably in the article, but I’m too lazy to read it. Sometimes I just try to find stuff to post or link to so none of y’all yell at me.
- I got stuck watching some sort of WWII documentary on the Smithsonian Channel. The narrator stated in 1939, 75% of the men in the military didn’t finish high school, 41% never even started it.
- Every bug in your house, ranked by how worried you should be about them
- HBO launches ‘Recommended by Humans’ tool to help you escape algorithm nightmares
This entry was posted in Personal
. Bookmark the permalink