Bag of Randomness for Monday, July 22, 2019
- Here’s a fun bit of presidential trivia – President Richard Nixon’s “I’m not a crook” speech took place at Disney World, specifically at the Contemporary Resort hotel.
- I’m sure most folks are aware as vice-president, Nixon attended the grand opening of Disneyland, but I bet most overlook the fact that Ronald Reagan was one of the opening ceremonies celebrities, he was even the one who introduced Walt Disney at the event. Another odd bit of trivia, at one point, Reagan was forced to scale the wall of Frontierland to make one of his scheduled appearances.
- Here’s one more Nixon and Disneyland connection. When Nixon was vice-president, his brother owned a series of restaurants named “Nixon’s” (Source1, Source2). One location was on the corner of Harbor Blvd. and Katella Ave in Anneham, immediately next to Disneyland. And just because I’m fascinated with Howard Hughes I’ll add this, he once loaned Nixon’s brother, Donald, $205,000 in 1956 to save the failing restaurants. I read his main competitor was Bob’s Big Boy. According to my research, only one Bob’s Big Boy still exists. But I may be confusing it for Big Boy. I think there may have even been a Kip’s Big Boy for a while. The only one I can recall ever seeing was on Camp Bowie Blvd in Fort Worth, across from King’s Liquor, where we stopped to buy Dad’s and Grandma’s Seagram’s 7. We lived in Palo Pinto, a dry county.
- The 2020 Corvette Uses GPS and Hydraulics to Automatically Lift the Car Over Speed Bumps
- Here’s the story behind the pic at the top of this post in case you are interested.
- Somebody in British Columbia is gonna get fired – Cat filter mistakenly applied during police news conference on double murder
- Google To Build A Second $600m Data Centre In North Texas
- The future of warfare – A US Navy ship used a new drone-defense system to take down an Iranian drone
- Marines aboard the USS Boxer used a new system called a MRZR LMADIS — a Light Marine Air Defense Integrated System. The system is comprised of two vehicles — one a “command node,” and the other a “sensor node.” The vehicles are outfitted with radar sensors, cameras, and radio frequency detectors and jammers. Once the crew is able to detect a threat, they use the jammer to disrupt the signals from the drone.
- I’m a fan of all three of these women and all their characters, so these gave me a great laugh when I ran across them on the Dallas subreddit. They are all great in their own way and all are nailed one form or another. I don’t remember the Kristen Wiig Denton role.
This entry was posted in Personal
. Bookmark the permalink