Bag of Randomness for Thursday, June 14, 2018
- When I first started to attend a Baptist church I was surprised everyone referred to the preacher as Brother John, instead of something more formal, like Pastor John. I’ll be honest, I thought it was similar to how Hulk Hogan referred to everyone as “brother” and thought, oh, so Hulk Hogan must have been Baptist at one point and that’s where he got it.
- When you see me at the pool or a waterpark, you’d probably think I wore a shirt because I’m trying to hide my belly, but you’d be wrong. I wear a shirt to hide the disgusting looking scar on my back.
- Every spring the city sends an employee to every house and turn the main water supply to half the pressure in an effort to conserve water, and every spring I tear up my knuckles accessing the main water line in the ground to increase the pressure so my sprinklers will do more than blow a raspberry. This year I thought I’d search Amazon for a water key to save my knuckles. Luckily I found a small twelve-inch version for about ten bucks and thought it was worth the investment. It arrived yesterday but Amazon sent me the thirty-six-inch version instead and now I feel mighty and more powerful than Thor and his hammer. It’s no weenie-man tool, it’s a professional industrial strength apparatus. It’s so massive you’d think someone would have to pass some kind of certification safety course to wield its power. I think I’ll have Luke 12:48 engraved on it, “For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required.”
- A friend of mine is moving his family from Alabama to Lubbock. The U-Haul he was traveling in with his wife and young daughter broke down on the highway. Thankfully the company sent a replacement truck and crew and moved everything in the replacement trunk. I have no idea if that’s included in the price or if he bought some sort of insurance for that.
- On Monday morning, all of the In-N-Outs closed because the quality of the buns wasn’t up to their satisfaction. It wasn’t a health or safety issue, they just have high bun standards. Yesterday, Whataburger announced via Twitter that some restaurants will not be offering white buns or Texas Toast, due to a quality issue with a supplier. Now Raising Cain’s has Texas toast issues. What is this, breadgate, carbgate?
- President Trump usually looks like he’s full of energy but he looked pretty tired walking off Air Force One yesterday, which is totally understandable.
- This was a popular retweet yesterday:
- If you are a fan of the ‘Fixer Upper’ show you may find these statistics interesting, as sampling is below – Facts & Analysis About HGTV’s “Fixer Upper”
- The average purchase price of the selected home hovers at around $173,221 for all five seasons.
- The average budget for renovation and upgrades over the course of five seasons stands at $111,631.
- Joanna used shiplap in almost 40% of the projects.
- Chip and Joanna’s renovation projects almost always comes in on budget and add an average of $26,000 of instant equity to the client’s investment.
- 2 Women Criticize the Way Texas A&M Handled Their Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Student Athletes
- ‘Star Wars’: George Lucas Would Have Set Third Trilogy in ‘Microbiotic World’ Linked to Midi-Chlorians
- Elsewhere in the conversation, Lucas admitted, “Everybody hated it in ‘Phantom Menace’ [when] we started talking about midi-chlorians.” In terms of his storytelling, Lucas regarded individuals as “vehicles for the Whills to travel around in…And the conduit is the midi-chlorians. The midi-chlorians are the ones that communicate with the Whills. The Whills, in a general sense, they are the Force.”
- Texas Monthly – How Franklin Barbecue Came Back After the Fire – After a tragedy in the pit room in 2017, it didn’t take long for Franklin Barbecue to rebound—or for the lines to start forming again.
- I saw the intro to the new NBC show ‘Reverie’ and thought it was a modern-day version of ‘Quantum Leak’.
- U2 held a special concert at Harlem’s Apollo Theater which I hope one day will be made available to watch. The 13-piece Sun Ra Arkestra horn section helped the band play along to ‘Angel of Harlem’, their tribute song to Billie Holiday. They also dedicated the song “Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of” to Anthony Bourdain.
This entry was posted in Personal
. Bookmark the permalink