Bag of Randomness for Thursday, November 30, 2017
- In yesterday’s mail, we received a sympathy card signed by all the employees from our vet’s office. It wasn’t formal or anything, and I suspect they do this for all their clients, but the gesture is appreciated.
- Not to sound like Michael Jackson, but I think about a particular scene in Peter Pan a lot. Actually, it’s from the movie Hook. Peter is having trouble to fly and he’s told to think of his happy place, that one thought or memory that blocks everything out except that feeling of happiness. Mine isn’t really anything profound or substantive, like the birth of my children. Rather, it’s simply the one and only touchdown I ever scored and it was in the seventh grade. I wasn’t a good athlete (though I played with a lot of heart and hustle) so it was my one shining moment and my parents were in the stands to witness it. It was an away game in Breckenridge, Texas.
- President Trump tweeting Prince Harry’s fiance, an American, is betraying her country for marrying into the royal family was shocking. Actually, he didn’t tweet that and as far as I know, he hasn’t commented on the engagement at all. But for a second, I bet you thought it was true because the man is unpredictable and shoots from the hip.
- I seriously do not know who would win a hundred yard footrace between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. The mental image of both men sprinting as fast as they can in their suits, huffing and puffing, and their hair starting to come out of place, is entertaining. However, I think Trump would have a better forty time.
- A bit of presidential trivia – Abigail Adams missed her husband’s inauguration
- When President Adams was sworn in on March 4, 1797, John’s mother was dying in Massachusetts. A particularly brutal New England winter kept Abigail away from Philadelphia (which was then the nation’s capital), much to the new Chief Executive’s dismay.
- I was in the McDonald’s drive-thru the other day. When I got to the first window to pay, the cashier’s window wasn’t all the way closed, so I could hear her softly say into her headset, “Dana! Check out the guy driving up in the black truck, he’s fine as hell.”
- Rolling Stone says U2’s “Lights Of Home” is the 5th best song of 2017.
- I’m a sucker for the Adam Scott and Scott Aukerman podcast “U Talkin’ U2 To Me?” and they have a new episode about the new album. Here’s one thing that cracks me up about the podcast, how they refer to each member of the band – Bonobos, Thedge, Adam Clay-2,000 lbs and Larry Mullen Sr.’s son.
- The Economist – Parents now spend twice as much time with their children as 50 years ago
- A Sharp Decline for Jimmy Fallon’s ‘Tonight Show’
- The recent declines leave the host of “The Tonight Show” in danger of losing his position as the second-place late-night host. Mr. Kimmel’s show has averaged 2.4 million viewers a night, compared with 2.6 million for Mr. Fallon.
- The picture on this Reddit post really made me stop and reflect how devastating Alzheimer’s and dementia is.
This entry was posted in Personal
. Bookmark the permalink