Bag of Randomness for Wednesday, July 26, 2017
- I received a postcard from Cuba yesterday from a faithful reader who knows I have a fondness for the old-fashioned medium. She mailed it the last week of May. So that gives you an idea how long it takes to mail something from Cuba to Texas.
- WifeGeeding’s mother took all her grandchildren to Great Wolf Lodge and are now spending time with her and her husband in East Texas, which gives me and WifeGeeding a few nights to ourselves.
- I really didn’t grow up with grandparents or close family around, so the concept of “dumping” your kids off, even to family, is strange to me. I know it’s not “dumping” and it is actually a gift we give to them (and them to us), a chance to spend time with grandchildren you normally wouldn’t get. But it’s just part of my destructive personality which makes me think I’m either burdening someone or skirting responsibilities.
- For our first night togetherness, we dined at WifeGeeding’s favorite, III Forks. For me, it’s not what it used to be. I saw water stains on the ceiling and some chairs were so beat up they should have been removed. Maybe fine-dining isn’t what it used to be. But maybe my taste buds have evolved where I’d rather have smoked moist brisket than any cut of steak. Oh, and it’s cheaper.
- While watching No Country For Old Men last night, a thought occurred to me since I know the film was based in Texas. Asking someone to describe a Texas landscape will vary quite a bit, especially the first one to come to mind. Some will think of the tall pines in East Texas, others about the green in the Hill Country, and many will think of the desserts in West and South Texas. I usually think of small rolling hills and mesquite trees scattered around.
- In the movie, one of the main characters asked a boot salesman, “Yeah, you got a pair of Larry Mahans? Shoulder, size 11?” I’ve certainly heard of the Larry Mahan brand but didn’t know the reference to “shoulder”. I half-hearted Google search tells me the character was wanting a boot made with leather from the shoulder part of the cow or steer.
- One of the best gifts you can give a college freshman is a compact tool kit. They won’t think much of it at the time, but he or she will become popular during the first few days of moving into a dorm when all little knickknacks and furniture needs assembled.
- Man, Jerry Jones gets beat up when takes a chance on a player with character issues and then gets beat up when he lets go of someone who possibly had character issues.
- All Jason Garrett needs to say is that as head coach he has input into the type of players he wants, but it’s the GM who picks them, then it’s up to him to make that player succeed both on and off the field.
- Props to Dale Hansen for asking such a great question at the Cowboys press conference, and props to him for not having it played during his regular sports segment. I guess he didn’t have to, everyone else was doing it for him.
- Our former governor – U.S. energy secretary duped into fake interview with Russian comedians
- 80-year-old Indiana couple nears end of quest to visit every Cracker Barrel
- Charting the tenure of U.S. Attorneys General – The average tenure has been about 978 days — or roughly 2.5 years.
- China mall introduces ‘husband storage’ pods for shopping wives
This entry was posted in Personal
. Bookmark the permalink