Bag of Randomness
- I can remember it like it was yesterday, but today marks an entire decade when I got the biggest shock of my life. I was one week away from getting married and my best man was to drive in from outside Abilene for a weekend visit, but he called and asked if he could cancel so he could go kayaking with his girlfriend and a few others. He felt bad canceling, but I said since he’s going to be here the next week it wasn’t going to be a big deal, and it would give me a chance to spend one last weekend home in Mineral Wells with my widowed mother and teenage sister.
- SisterGeeding and I was watching Catch Me if You
- When I got home I got a phone call from a very close friend, someone in the wedding parting. I tried to tease him that he missed the wedding, but I could tell by his voice that something was wrong. He informed me that he was watching he local news and it stated that my best man, Micah, drowned. Looking back, there was no better person to give me that news then him. That night ended up becoming one of the longest of my life, as did that week.
- I was hysterical and called my fiance, who couldn’t quite understand me and mistook my crying for laughing.
- I finally got in touch with Micah’s mom. She was responsible for my last job in and my first job out of college. The greatest honor of my life was when his mother asked that I speak at his funeral. I had to bury my best friend on a Wednesday, and marry my best friend on a Saturday, and as I’ve said before, I felt like I became a man that week. If you are interested in what I said, a draft of my eulogy is here. There was no replacing him, so at the wedding ceremony I just saved a spot for him at the altar.
- For some reason I could never find it in me to finish that movie, nor have I ever ordered another Mix.
- Sometimes I wonder what would have been if I would have made him live up to his commitment to visit me that weekend instead of saying it was okay for him to go kayaking.
- It was WifeGeeding’s idea during that long week that our first born should be named after Micah, boy or girl. When she was with child I took a day off work to drive to Abilene to ask Micah’s mother in person if it was okay to name our child after her son, and thankfully she said yes.
- I’m sorry if this is dragging on, but not only is it a bit therapeutic for me, it just felt like the right thing to do today. I live my life trying to be just a quarter of the person that Micah was.
- I have a friend that’s at Walt Disney World with the wife and kids, but the wife got so sick they saw a doctor and found out she has strep throat.
- In my work Inbox yesterday were two emails reminding me how to handle Classified and Confidential information. I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner.
- I pick up my CPAP machine on Monday. Insurance covers 80%, so my portion will cost me $310. My last sleep study cost about $230.
- A great mouse pad for you ‘Breaking Bad’ fans.
- Pretty cool live visual – Real time Google searches in many languages, you can also customize it to just the U.S. in the lower left corner.
- For the Lego enthusiast funeral director
- Any chance Rupert Murdoch will lose Fox News in the divorce?
- HGTV apologizes after suggesting American flag as ‘festive’ tablecloth
- Wigs off as Britain ends courtroom tradition
- Timelapse of DFW’s Growth over the last 30 years
- Buzz Aldrin is no fan of Tang
- Texas Republican Congressman wanders into LGBT event, enjoys hospitality before realizing he’s in wrong place
- Happy birthday U.S. Army.
This entry was posted in Personal
. Bookmark the permalink